|FilippovaEV||Дата: Суббота, 28.04.2012, 18:43 | Сообщение # 1|
1. Give the names of the three ships on which Christopher Columbus made his first voyage to America.
2. What is the name of the Dutch settlement which became New York City?
3. With which “supernatural” event is the old whaling town of Salem, Massachusetts, associated?
4. What was the colonists’ motto during the “Boston Tea Party”?
5. In which city and state is the Liberty Bell located?
6. Which country presented the U.S. with the Statue of Liberty? What was the occasion?
7. Which American President was the first to live in the White House?
8. Who were the “Blues” and who were the “Greys” during the American Civil War?
9. Which American architect is called the “Father of the Skyscraper”?
10. Who were the two brothers who invented the airplane and when and where did the first flight take place?
11. What is the name of the American naval base that the Japanese attacked on December 7, 1941? In which state is it located?
12. Which American general, who later became the 34th President, commanded all U.S. forces during World War II?
13. Which American President attended the Potsdam Conference?
In which U.S. city was the United Nations’ Charter approved in 1945?
14. Who was the American President during the Cuban missile crisis?
15. Which American astronaut first stepped on the surface of the Moon and what was the year?
16. What was the name of his spaceship?
(The answers to questions)
1. Ninya, Pinta, Santa Maria.
2. The colony was the New Netherlands; the capital city was New Amsterdam.
4. “No Taxation Without Representation”.
5. In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
6. France; the 100-year anniversary of the Franco-American alliance during the American War of Independence.
7. John Adams, the 2nd U.S. President.
8. The “Blues” were the North (Union), the “Greys” were the South (Confederacy).
9. Louis Henry Sullivan.
10. Orville and Wilbur Wright; 1903; Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
11. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
12. Dwight David Eisenhower.
13. Harry Truman.
14. In San Francisco, California.
15. John F. Kennedy.
16. Neil Armstrong; 1969; Apollo II.