|FilippovaEV||Дата: Суббота, 28.04.2012, 18:47 | Сообщение # 1|
1. What major American historical event did Rip Van Winkle miss in his sleep?
2. Which 19th-century American writer is said to be the founder of the detective genre?
3. Which famous Edgar A. Poe’s poem is named for a bird?
4. What pen-name did an American writer use to sign the humorous stories which he wrote in prison?
5. Which famous event that had happened in California in 1849 was glorified in films and books?
6. Name the American science fiction writer born in Russia who wrote “I, Robot”.
7. Volkov’s book, “The Wizard of the Emerald Town”, is an adaptation of a book written by an American writer. What is the title of the book and is the American author?
8. Which American family compiled the first dictionary of the American variant of the English language?
9. Which two novels by Mark Twain are often called “the first modern American novels”?
10. Which famous novel of Herman Melville is concerned with an aquatic mammal?
11. During which periods in American history was the novel “Gone with the Wind” set?
12. Name the 1954 Nobel Laureate in Literature who wrote “The Sun Also Rises”.
13. Which famous poem of Longfellow was translated into Russian by Ivan Bunin?
14. Which American author wrote “The Last of the Mohicans”?
15. Which famous American document begins with the words, “We, the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union…”?
16. Name the largest library in the U.S.
(The answers to questions)
1. The American War of Independence.
2. Edgar A. Poe.
3. “The Raven”.
4. O. Henry.
5. The gold rush.
6. Isaac Asimov.
7. “The (Wonderful) Wizard of Oz”; L. Frank Baum.
9. “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” and “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer”.
10. “Moby Dick”.
11. The Civil War and Reconstruction.
12. Ernest Hemingway.
13. “The Song of Hiawatha”.
14. James Fenimore Cooper.
15. The Constitution of the United States.
16. The Library of Congress.